Are you an international student and are you planning to study in the Netherlands? Please notice that you need a couple of insurances. In this blog I will explain which insurances you have to have in the Netherlands.

Health insurance

By law, you must have a healthcare insurance. The type of healthcare insurance you need, depends on your personal situation. There are three types of cover:

  • Dutch public healthcare insurance
  • EU Health Insurance Card
  • Private healthcare insurance

Only studying

If you are only in the Netherlands to study, then you don’t need an Dutch health insurance. You can remain insured with the health insurer in your home country or take out an international health insurance. If you’re staying in the Netherlands for more than one year, you might receive a letter from the CAK about your insurance obligation. If you receive this letter, you have to take action within 3 months or you will receive a fine of approximately €380,-. Action means that you have to contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request for an investigation of your insurance situation under the WLz scheme. You can find here how to do this request. You have to send a copy of the decision from the SVB about your insurance situation to the CAK.


If you are planning to do an internship (paid or unpaid), you might need to take a Dutch Health Insurance. Therefore it’s important to contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request for an investigation of your insurance situation under the Wlz scheme.

Studying with a part-time job

If you have a part-time job next to your study, you need a Dutch health insurance. The basic health insurance is mandatory and supplementary insurances are optional. To take out a Dutch health insurance you must be registered with a municipality. Once you are registered, you can choose your health insurance from one of the many Dutch health insurers. Fill out the application form and send it to the health insurer. The registration is complete once you have received an insurance policy (polisblad) and a health insurance card. You can apply for health care benefit or allowance (zorgtoeslag), by using this link. Don’t forget to cancel your insurance if you are leaving the Netherlands and don’t forget to deregister from you municipality.

EU Health Insurance Card

The EU Health Insurance Card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, by the state provided healthcare. You can use the EU Health Insurance Card only during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries. It provides the same conditions and the same cost (free in some countries) as people who are insured in that country. But only covers the most urgent medical expenses during short stays in this country. You need to determine the definition of short stay, used by your own health insurance, if you can use a EU Health Insurance Card.

Private healthcare insurance

If you don’t have an EHIC and you don’t have the obligation to take out Dutch public healthcare insurances, because you will not work or do a paid internship next to or as part of your studies in the Netherlands, you have to check whether your existing insurance covers your stay in the Netherlands. If this isn’t the case, you need to take out a new or special insurance policy for your stay in the Netherlands. Please contact the International Office of your higher education institution for advice.

Liability insurance

In case you cause an accident and someone is injured or if you damage someone’s property, you are responsible for paying all the costs of the accident. This can be very expensive. You are therefore strongly advised to take out a good liability insurance policy, which will cover the costs in many cases.

Repatriation insurance

Repatriation insurance is convenient to have if you have to return to your home country, for example because if you happen to become seriously ill.

Household contents insurance

This insurance covers the contents of your home against loss due to causes such as theft, fire or water damage. Which items are covered by the insurance depends on the insurance company.

Checklist insurances

You can take a look at this checklist, to make sure which insurance you need during your stay in the Netherlands.


Do you have questions regarding this blog, do you need advice about insurances or do you have other questions regarding legal isssues? Don’t hesitate to contact us, we are happy to help! You can contact us by calling us (0503634675) or by sending an e-mail ( You can also send us a message on our Facebookpage (Juridisch Steunpunt Groningen) or visit us at our office. Our opening hours are Monday and Wednesday from 12.00 till 17.00 hours and Tuesday and Thursday from 12.00 till 14.00 hours.


This article is written by Froukje Zijlstra, employee of the Legal helpdesk of the Groninger Student Union.


Date of publication: 30 mei 2018.


Het Juridisch Steunpunt is maandag en woensdag geopend van 12:00 tot 17:00 uur en op dinsdag en donderdag van 12:00 tot 14:00 uur en bestaat uit meerdere medewerkers. Het kan zijn dat je vraag niet van begin tot eind door dezelfde medewerker behandeld wordt, maar dat je soms van een andere medewerker antwoord zult krijgen. Wij zijn telefonisch te bereiken op 050 – 363 4675, via de Facebookpagina Juridisch Steunpunt Groningen of via de mail Je kunt ook bij ons langskomen op kantoor.



Het Juridisch Steunpunt van de Groninger Studentenbond (GSb) is een onderdeel van de Studentenlijn (LSVb). Het Juridisch Steunpunt besteedt veel aandacht aan de juistheid en volledigheid van de verstrekte informatie. Het Juridisch Steunpunt Groningen is niet verantwoordelijk en aansprakelijk voor eventuele fouten en onvolkomenheden in de verstrekte informatie. Indien we opmerkzaam worden gemaakt van onjuistheden, zullen wij deze verbeteren. Tevens is het Juridisch Steunpunt Groningen niet aansprakelijk voor enige vorm van schade, materieel en immaterieel, veroorzaakt door het gebruik van de inhoud, goederen of diensten.